Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Positive things about Ann Coulter

Warning: the following posting is a rant and has nothing to do with photography.

Before this morning I had never heard of Ann Coulter. No, I don't live under a rock. I don't live with cable TV. The rabbit ears on my little television barely pick up the local channels. So when I heard her speech was cancelled in Ottawa, my first question was, "Who's Ann Coulter?"

After a Google search, and a look at her web site I was shocked by her crassness, her insensitivity, her total lack of compassion and respect. Then, I was fascinated by the news of her. After reading all that she's purported to say, I'm not sure if she is for real or just playing a part. So, I tried to think up positive things about Ann Coulter.
  1. Academia should love her as an excellent example of faulty critical thinking and really bad logic. Several years ago, in a Critical Thinking class, I was asked to find an example of poor critical thinking and write about all the assumptions made by my choice. If Ann was around back then (never mind when) she would have made that assignment so easy-peezy.
  2. If you've ever wondered what ADD thinking is like, in a not-so-good-Robin-Williams-kind-of-way, look to Ann. She takes a topic and then goes to a completely different, dark universe.
  3. She flushes out like-minded people. Amazingly, Ann Coulter could be considered laughable if it wasn't for the fact that there really are other people out there that think the same way as she does. I've known one or two or three. One or two or three too many.