Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blackfoot Crossing 2011 - Treaty 7 monument

Blackfoot Crossing 2011 - Treaty 7 monument by Wanderfull1

Blackfoot Crossing 2011 - Treaty 7 monument, a photo by Wanderfull1 on Flickr.

Yesterday my friend and I did a road trip to the Blackfoot Crossing Heritage Museum, just east of Gleichen, AB. While you cannot take photos inside the museum, there were ample photo ops outside, including a memorial to the signing of Treaty 7 and the Crowfoot Cemetery.

Interestingly, the Treaty 7 monument only has the names of government officials. The names of the tribal chiefs are not listed. My friend pointed out who erected the monument. Of course, the winner would only list their own team.







During the trip we saw new lakes formed from the massive amount of rain that hit us this June. Last I heard we've only had 6 dry days this month. The mosquitoes love it.

At the crossing, my friend and I tried walking to the Bow River which flows just below the museum, but got only as far as a swamped playground where we were swarmed by over-sized, overzealous, bombadeering mosquitoes. On the way back to the museum I wondered if staff were laying bets on how close we'd actually get to the river.
Blackfoot Crossing 2011 - flooding

No comments:

Post a Comment