Friday, August 5, 2011

Course complete

red pod by Wanderfull1
red pod, a photo by Wanderfull1 on Flickr.

To celebrate completing SAIT's Fast Track Photography Certificate program this afternoon I cycled to Edworthy Park. It was a spur of the moment decision.

Around noon, I decided I was less than inspired to print off photos. After two days of printing, there wasn't a whole lot left I wanted to do.

On the way home I was thinking of how I hadn't been to Edworthy Park in ages. Afraid that once I got home I'd get too comfortable to go back out, I turned my bike around and headed for the river pathways.

It was worth leaving class early for.

All the rain has made the park forests lush with plants and flowers I can't identify. Sweet bird song followed me. I made my destination a tasty veggie burger at Angel's Cafe and then decided to walk back along the Edworthy bikepath. On the the walk back is when I saw the most amazing thing.

Dozens of large dragon flies were buzzing around the area like mini-helicopters. I'd never seen so many in one place before. I wanted to stop the people whizzing past me... look up... isn't it amazing... but they would've probably thought I was a lunatic. All I had was my little PowerShot, so there was no way I was going to be able to capture a dragonfly in flight. Even a big one.

Then again maybe some things, like dragonflies and lightening storms, should be left to the realm of magic... to enjoy for a moment without being captured. Not everything needs to be photographed.

No comments:

Post a Comment