Thursday, January 19, 2012

Project 366. 2012... Week 3




The winter cold snap hit this week. Tuesday night, temperatures went as low as -50 C with a wind chill. So, I took my photography indoors. Then around the weekend, the temperatures went up a bit. Just in time for Chinese New Year celebrations.


Day 15 ... January 15:

Spent the day doing indoor shots of tea and Hershey Kisses. The props kept disappearing on this one. I received an email asking what kind of set up and lighting I used to take this shot. The white background was my IKEA dining table. The lighting is mid-morning, overcast sunlight. The slight shading is produced from one of the custom digital in-camera filters.

Decided that trying to get macro shots with non-macro lenses wasn't cutting it so ordered a 100mm macro telephoto online from The Camera Store.

Day 16 ... January 16:

On the morning walk to work, in spite of the cold, I had to get a photo of the fog drifting across the Bow River. Too cold to wear my glasses (they frost up at -30 C), this was shot blind and relying totally on my Canon PowerShot's auto focus.

Day 17 ... January 17:

This is my inside balcony door latch. Currently, it's -29 Celsius, which is a smidgen better than the expected high of -30. Don't know if that includes the wind chill.

These are two photos meshed together with Photoshop CS5. (Something I learned last summer at SAIT.) This was shot with my new 100mm macro telephoto lens that I just received in the mail from The Camera Store this morning. Wish I could stay warm and play with it all day, but it's Tuesday and I have to go to work tonight.

Day 18 ... January 18:

Another shot on my morning walk to work. The air was full of steam coming out of the local YWCA and the rush hour traffic car exhaust. This was a one shot deal, because within the next couple of steps the pedestrian was totally engulfed by the emissions. Softened the high ISO noise with Photoshop's dust & scratches filter to make this look like a painting.

Day 19 ... January 19:

Much as I try to be mindful about uploading too many photos of my cat... cute rules!!

Day 20 ... January 20:

Happy New Year! Tonight was the beginning of the Chinese New Year. Celebrations of food, music and dancing will take place at the Chinese Cultural Centre all weekend. This is one of three large ice sculptures lit up just outside the Centre. Took a look on my way home from work. The other two were of a dragon and a pink bucking bull. I'm not really happy with this photo, but I had nothing better.

Day 21 ... January 21:

My kitchen stove, early in the morning. The only light source was the stove's overhead fan light. Artsied it up with the in-camera pastel filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment