Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rat Conversation

Whenever I take a course on anything, I usually do the Hermione Granger thing and over-research. Lately, I've been trolling YouTube for videos about fine art photographers. Today, I watched a series of clips about Richard Avedon, who is George Webber's inspiration. Webber is a local award winning and decorated documentary photographer who was speaking at the CPL Photography Club last Saturday morning. He was also one of my instructors at SAIT last summer. Webber dropped a few names, that I've yet to research, but he said the photographer that influenced him the most was Avedon.

This morning, in between laundry loads and instead of grocery shopping, I watched an Avedon biography called Darkness and Light. What struck me was even though he was a master photographer he was incredibly insecure about his photos. In one photo of a model posed with elephants, he moans that it's not a perfect photo because the sash on her dress doesn't flow to the left.

Makes me wonder, an amateur, if my own insecurities are justified. Sure, people say nice things about my photos, but my confidence is nibbled on by a little rat who points out that people tend to say only nice things on Flickr and the STP pages. Then the rat asks what the point is in my photos. Where am I going with any of this?

I'll get back to you, rat, when I have it figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment