Sunday, September 16, 2012

Muslim protest.. September 15/12

Calgary Muslims gathered in front of City Hall to denounce the violence in Libya, criticize the anit-Muslim film that caused the violence, and demonstrate against all hatred.

Led by Abraham Ayache, Chairman of the Muslim Council of Calgary, there were over 100 Muslim men, women and children in attendance. There were some tense moments when a few passersby decided to create a verbal disturbance. The police were called in, and they quickly moved three men away. Abraham praised the police for their assistance. The demonstration ended in prayer.

___________________________________________________________________

Update September 20/12:

A few days after posting my photos to Flickr I received an email from a member of the Muslim Council of Canada.  It read:

Hello

It was great meeting you at the protest and we truly appreciate your coverage of the function.


I went through the photos that you captured and they are wonderful, though I would kindly ask you to remove the photo of prayer while the shoes of worshipers are in the way. We always advice media to avoid scenes of this kind in which could be misunderstood by some people not knowing the ethics and etiquette of our prayer.


I appreciate your understanding and please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if I could be of any assistance. Have a blessed day.


BTW, I like your shot of my photo with the troubling individual, it will be nice if you specify (right) to indicate that he was the provoking guy not me :-)


Ibrahim


After receiving Ibrahim's email, I chose not to pull the shoes photos.  Instead, I made a few extra explanatory notes to the photos in question, and added a link to a Muslim Q&A page that explains why shoes are removed during prayer.  My philosophy being: if no one is taught, how will they learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment