Monday, June 24, 2013

Calgary Flood 2013 - Day 5




Went to McMahon Stadium at 10:00 this morning.  So did thousands of other people.  Organizers ran out of volunteer waiver forms.  They only had 600.  I was one of the 600.  Waited for what seemed like hours to get put through a tent, have someone sign my waiver, and then tell me to wait for an available bus.  Waited for what seemed like hours for a bus, only to be told that there weren't enough buses and that we would have to find our own way to a clean up muster point.  So I got in another line and waited, only minutes this time, to find out my group was going to Roscarock and other places in the SW.  Rather than try to find someone to car pool with, I cycled home. 

Nenshi was at McMahon and received a roaring reception.  (Is that guy loved or what?)  He told everyone to help their neighbor, even if you didn't fill out an official City of Calgary volunteer form. He encouraged everyone to get out there and help each other.

Got home at 1:00 p.m. and I'm having lunch.  In a moment,  I'll walk down to Sunnyside to see if I can help there.

Update:

Unfortunately, going to Sunnyside didn't happen.  I got caught up in editing this morning's photos for Flickr. [Hi, my name is Wanda and I am a photographer. The twelve steps to recovery are...?]  Then realized that cycling to McMahon Stadium and back killed my energy. [I've really got to get in shape.]  Will try going to Sunnyside tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment