Friday, June 28, 2013

Calgary Flood 2013 - Day 9

I was back on the streets after taking a break (partially to work and partially to troll every Internet news source I could find.)

Today I joined a cleaning crew hauling stuff out of the basement of the Chinese Seniors Centre.  A short muscular Auzzie actually yelled, "Yeah, baby!" when I jumped in the line.

Afterwards I cycled to Mission to check on a friend's apartment building (it was fine).

On the way home I swung by the Central Library to watch workers use grey Library delivery bins to haul books and debris from the basement.

Then I got as close as I could to what remains of Prince's Island Park.  There were blue fences set up along the bike path and on the pedestrian bridges.  At one of the pedestrian bridges I encountered a young 20-something couple.


"What are these barriers here for?" the girl asked.

"Um, there was a flood," I replied, then muttered "duh" under my breath.

They decided to ignore the barriers and cross the pedestrian bridge.  "Have a nice day," the girl called over her shoulder.

"Have you heard of Nenshi nouns?" I called back.

These two totally ruined the human love-buzz I'd been feeling all week.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment