Sunday, March 23, 2014

Anti-Racism Rally 2014-so you think...

"Don't take his picture!" the anti-racism activist yelled at me. "Don't encourage him!"

"I'm documenting an event," I explained. "He's part of it."

Friday, March 21st was the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination. Which means that on Saturday five local anti-racism activists and one dissenter held a rally in front of City Hall.

Never before have I had an activist tell me not to take someone's photo, until Saturday.  Which of course got my back up and made me take more photos of the one protester standing 20 feet away from the rally who was actually carrying a sign.  Not just because she ordered me not to, but because she had a "born-again-Christian" air about her.  You know, the preachy self-righteous type that feels compelled to argue with anyone that disagrees with their opinions.  When I tried chatting with her she became disagreeable.

As far as I could tell (I was on my way to work and couldn't stay long), this guy wasn't being confrontational.  He was just quietly expressing an opinion.  If I had more time I might have asked him what his sign meant to him.

Link:


Anti-Racism Rally 2014-believer

Anti-Racism Rally 2014-people's voice

Anti-Racism Rally 2014-in the trees

No comments:

Post a Comment