Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September Snow Storm

A giant squirrel skittered across the outer wall of my apartment building and then landed with a thump.  That's what it sounded like when a huge branch of the city tree in front of our building fell early this morning. Ironic, actually. Our yard has an ancient mountain ash that the landlord has been concerned about falling on the roof of our building. If any branches came off it today, it would be because of the other tree pulling them down.  My first thought when I saw open sky was... I'll be able to grow more plants next summer.




I spent almost 20 minutes trying to contact 311 online about the tree. Initially, I tried phoning, but there was a major line up.  While I was waiting I saw a firetruck pull up, but they just removed a tree branch that was in the middle of the road.

So, this morning I skipped breakfast and my morning shower, and left half an hour earlier for work so I would have some time to take some photos.  Later, after work, I wandered through downtown, Prince's Island Park, and the west part of Crescent Heights.  Then I looped back through my neighborhood again.  Not only did I get some cool shots, but some interesting conversation, as well.



It was a little scary walking to work this morning.  This young couple narrowly missed getting hit by this branch.



This lady also felt lucky this morning.  As she was clearing the snow off her car's windshield, a tree branch dropped on a car parked just two cars away from hers. She stopped only for a moment and then continued to clear her car.



A CBC camera person was out and about gathering shots.  I saw her earlier in front of my apartment and then later again shooting a couple blocks over.  When I suggested to her that my street was way messier than what she was filming she said she had already been there and actually got some footage of tree branches falling.  I didn't mention the car that just got clubbed.

The weather didn't stop people from getting to work.  I even managed to make it to work on time.






The debris left after the storm had passed was amazing.  Spent the afternoon after work capturing as much as I could.  I think I wound up taking almost 800 photos in total throughout the day.







On the way home, one woman driving by stopped to tell me that she experienced the Pine Lake tornado, last summer's flood in Calgary, and now this.  "I think my post traumatic stress is coming back," she said.

Another woman, checking out the damages, said that she had just got power at her place. This was after 1:00 in the afternoon.  One cranky old lady gripped about everyone taking photos of the trees, as if this kind of devastation was no big deal and happened all the time in Calgary. 

Ri-i-ght.







This guy was momentarily interrupted by his neighbor from across the street asking if he wouldn't mind sawing up the trees in her yard.  He had asked the firefighters if they would be doing any clearing and was told that they were only taking care of anything blocking the road ways.  Turns out the woman is getting married this weekend... under the trees in her back yard.  Well, now a few less trees.  The guy said sure, he'd help her out.





Links:






No comments:

Post a Comment