Friday, June 26, 2015

Carifest 2015 & the power of referral

Back in April, I received an email from the Carifest marketing person letting me know that they were going to use another one of my parade photos for their promotions. Instead of hot and sexy, this year they chose a photo of a young girl, which I thought was a nice change.


At first I thought this was cool, because this would make it the third year in a row that one of my photos was selected.  Then I thought it was nice that this time they actually sent me an email to let me know.  The first time was a surprise and the second time I watched for the banner on Stephen Avenue.


Then I received a second email asking if I would be available to do a portrait of her son for his first birthday that was coming up in a couple of weeks.  She wanted some photos in the park and some studio-like photos.  She thought I was a professional photographer.

When the panic subsided and my heart resumed its regular beat, my brain went into problem-solving mode.

Luckily, because I keep in touch with people I've met on photography outings (mostly on Facebook) I knew Jo-Ann Brown was into portraits and had a portable studio!  When I asked Jo-Ann if she would be interested, her reply was super keen. I told the Carifest mom that I was a hobby photographer, but suggested that Jo-Ann would be the perfect photographer for her.

Unfortunately, it turned out that a surgery opening that Jo-Ann had been waiting for came up around the same time as the photo shoot request. Jo-Ann tried to rearrange the date and then referred the mom to another photographer that she knew, but neither of us know how it turned out.  Hopefully it went well.

I don't know what the referral protocol is.  Should I have followed up? Is now too late to ask or do I wait until we meet at Carifest?

I think it's time to take a business course.



No comments:

Post a Comment